web address doesn’t show domain name

Home Forums WordPress web address doesn’t show domain name

This topic contains 12 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Elena 2 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Elena
    Keymaster

Hello! I first want to thank you so much for your incredibly helpful tutorials–I have redone my SBI site as a WP site and am just trying to wrap up the final details. Thanks so much for all the step-by-step information you provided–I’ve felt stuck for years with SBI not knowing what my options were but you gave me the necessary information to take my site back so many many thanks. 🙂

It seems very possible that I missed a step somewhere so I’m hoping you might be able to help once more. My new WP site comes up when I type in my domain name in the address bar but when I click on any of the other pages within my site the address changes to what I think is the IP address assigned by Hostgator/~my name/name of the page. Does that make sense? Is there something I need to do to get all my pages listed under my domain name?

Thanks for any thoughts!
    Corinna

Elena
    Keymaster

Hi Corinna, thanks for kind words 🙂

Regarding the issue you are facing, it shouldn’t be the case so something is wrong.

As I understand you have changed your name servers already?

Did you remember to do Step 7 where you need to go back to your database and switch IP address to your domain.com twice?

I suspect it’s something about either forgetting to edit database, or editing only once. Please let me know.

Elena
    Keymaster

Elena thank you so much for your response. I’ve looked through your guides and am not sure which step 7 I may have missed…if you have the time could you link me to those directions on switching the IP address twice? Thank you again so much, you are an online life saver!

Elena
    Keymaster

Hi Corinna,

this is a crucial step. As I understand you are using this tutorial

How to Move a Website from SBI! to WordPress

In the beginning of this tutorial you were supposed to go to PHPmyAdmin and edit your database where you changed your domain address for IP address in order to be able to work on your site without real domain. The instructions for initial switch (from domain to IP) were just in the beginning of that tutorial. To remind you here is the image where you were supposed to go here is one of the images from the tutorial

When you finished your site, you need to go back there and switch back to what it was initially, i.e. to change http://124.56.78 for http://www.yourdomain.com TWICE in your database.

Hope this makes sense. You need to go back to tutorial and look at images again. Are you on Hostgator?

Elena
    Keymaster

Oh my gosh I think I got it fixed…you are amazing! I forgot all about this process and totally needed to review your steps again…thank you thank you thank you Elena! Your helpfulness and amazingly detailed descriptions of EVERYthing just mean so much to someone like me who needs so much assistance. Truly this collection of directions has given me the courage and the tools to step away from SBI and have a much better looking and working website. Many many thanks. 🙂

Elena
    Keymaster

You are most welcome Corinna! Glad it finally works 🙂

Elena
    Keymaster

Hello Elena,
    I also want to thank you very much – I have been putting this off until I found your site!! Thank you!!
    I have made a few sites WP sites with Bluehost hosting, but purchased HostGator hosting through your link for my SBI site – I will be migrating my other sites to this hosting in the future – with your sites guidance – great resource.
    Thanks
    Ken

Elena
    Keymaster

My Question:

Step 7: WP Options in PHPMyAdmin – I was able to change the siteurl to my IP. (Step 1 complete) but… the second step does not show up for me… (Step 2) There is nowhere to change home url in PHPMyAdmin so I was only able to do 1 step.

(url removed for security reasons)

How do I find access for the home change in wpoption in PHPMyAdmin if it doesn’t show up??

Thank you again so much for your incredible resource.

Very sincerely,
    Ken

Elena
    Keymaster

Hi Ken,

thanks for kind words and for buying through my link! 🙂

The option to change your home URL is usually on second page. There are arrows to navigate, try to look carefully. If you still can’t find it send me your login details for Hostgator and I will fix that for you (you will be able to change password later). faletova (at) gmail.com I can do these things with my closed eyes… well almost 🙂

Thanks again!

Elena
    Keymaster

Thank you Elena,

Rookie mistake 🙂 – found it!
    You are an inspiring Human Being (with your openness) – would have definitely trusted you with my login details – and I really appreciate the offer.

Your resource and forum was the only piece that was missing for my SBI transition.

I’ll find the other affiliate links in your site and will use them.

If you don’t mind me asking what program did you use for your forum? I would like to incorporate with my Greenhouse Gardening site.

Your Awesome!!
    Thank you,
    Ken

Elena
    Keymaster

Awww thank you Ken, I am blushing!

This is bbPress, free WordPress plugin. You need to use it in combination with bbModeration (because you will receive a lot of spam if you don’t). I also use bbNotify to send and receive emails when there is a new post or reply.

Thanks again 🙂

Elena
    Keymaster

Thank you Elena!! 🙂 Made my day!!

Elena
    Keymaster

KenL,

I sent you an email today with password to my tutorial. The tutorial is not free anymore, but since you started earlier you have free access. Did you receive it?

Thanks,

Elena

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘web address doesn’t show domain name’ is closed to new replies.