Robots, sitemap and rss feed question

Home Forums Help with Moving from Site Build It! Robots, sitemap and rss feed question

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Elena 2 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Elena
    Keymaster

Hi Elena

Me again 🙂

I’m in the process of double checking everything before doing the name change step and while reading through your forums came across someone asking about the robots, sitemap and feed files. Oh goodness, I didn’t even think about that!

If you don’t mind, would you please explain the part of creating the files in Hostgator in very simple terms? Where do I go to in the Control Panel to create the files? Where do I look for the root folder?

I know it should be simple but I rather make sure and do it right … 🙂

Thank you so much Elena,

Andriette

Elena
    Keymaster

Hi Andriette,

I think you are following straight to WordPress tutorial. RSS feed is handled automatically. Sitemap is handled by plugin as described in the tutorial. WordPress also creates robots file automatically so you don’t have to worry about it unless you have something very special you want to put there. In this sense you don’t need to add files to your root right now. The post you read was probably by someone who chose to keep the site static, at least for a while but you don’t need to worry about that.

Having said that, it is good to know how your site is built. There are TONS of cPanel tutorials text and video because most hosts use it. It boils down to going to your public_html in your file manager in cPanel and there it will be obvious (there is Upload button on the top). Just don’t delete something accidentally. Like your WordPress files.

Elena
    Keymaster

Thank you Elena

That is great news and one thing less to worry about. I’ve been clicking around in your forum and came across someone asking about it – so just needed to be sure – although I have the sitemap plugin in place. Thank you for clearing it up for me.

Thank you so much for everything. I couldn’t have reached where I am without you and your great tutorials. It took me months to reach this point as I moved house since I started the transfer and is very busy renovating our new home. Transferring the pages was slow going. I will be doing the name change tomorrow or the day after and trust everything will go smoothly.

Warm wishes

Andriette

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Robots, sitemap and rss feed question’ is closed to new replies.