Page not redirecting from old page to new WP

Home Forums WordPress Page not redirecting from old page to new WP

This topic contains 11 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Elena 3 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Elena
    Keymaster

Hi Elena

I followed your advice about adding the custom permalink, but it does not seem to redirect to .html.

This url is fine http://www.smartpocketknives.com/gerber-pocket-knife

without the .html.

But the .html goes to the old page, which has been changed by myself in hostgator.

Sorry to keep pestering you for advice. If i can offer a paypal donation after Im more than will to make a donation.

Thanks

Elena
    Keymaster

Once you make sure you edited permalinks correctly you should delete static HTML version in your cpanel for WordPress version to appear. If you are not confident you made that correctly you can simply rename it first and see what happens. If everything is correct you can delete renamed version of same page. This is covered in Part 2 of my tutorial I believe.

Elena
    Keymaster

Although it doesn’t look like you edited your permalinks yet. Please check that again

Elena
    Keymaster

That’s strange as i have added the code /%postname%.html in the custom section. I have also already deleted the .html within hostgator.

I did notice when i used the plug in for adding .html etc, that did add that visibly on to the file name string.

I disabled the plug in because you mentioned its not for WP sites using posts.

It does not matter too much if im having teething problems with this site and pages are down for a while, as this is to learn how to do WP for my better sites.

I will go back and look again, thanks.

Elena
    Keymaster

Sometimes WordPress has hiccups, try to sign ou and in again, refresh page and see if your settings for permalinks were saved.

Elena
    Keymaster

Thanks i did that but its still the same. The permalinks setting’s are changed ok. Its quite odd this page here with the .html is showing the page from hostgator i have deleted but just without my page includes (header, footer, etc).

Elena
    Keymaster

Its no longer going to the page without the (header, footer, etc) now. its just doing a 404 not found. So its not creating the .html for some reason.

Elena
    Keymaster

I seem to be making progress. /%postname%.html seems to only work for posts not pages – see stackoverflow here . This plug in has worked for the pages.

Then the /%postname%.html works for post.

I have another issue and that’s some of my pages or posts are called articles, but i will ask advice in the wordpress theme (i think i have chose quite a complicated one for trying out WP) forum or just do redirects on these types.

Im going in the right direction anyway.

Thanks.

Elena
    Keymaster

The hack for .html that I explained works only for posts. If you need that on pages then you need to use plugin. The reason why I suggested you to work with posts is because this will allow you to take advantage of your theme and it will feature posts automatically.

Elena
    Keymaster

These review posts in the theme, can become part of a page once a selection of reviews are assigned to that page. It’s quite cool actually. With the review posts the plug in or hack does not work. I will resolve it though 🙂

Two thing’s i haven’t liked about some themes is having no description meta tag and WP choosing part of the TITLE tag. I seemed to have solved that with a plugin, yoast, although that presented further code problems.

WP is definitely a steep learning curve especially for a person that wants a site that has many functions, or certain functions.

Thanks

Elena
    Keymaster

There are many plugins to solve these issues. I like your theme and believe me, you are doing great. Many people didn’t run in the issues you have right now but they also chose to go with WordPress default until they learn the ropes. And there were some others who purchased cool themes from Themeforest like you but at least two or three of them reported back to me that they weren’t able to install their themes at all. They had to hire someone to do this.

People who choose to go with Genesis or free default themes usually have it easier in the beginning. Most Themeforest customers are web developers themselves and know their stuff. What they do is find customers, dazzle them with Themeforest design samples and then install it for them and charge the customer $2500.

Some themes are incredibly sophisticated. I think you are doing very well provided you jumped straight to something like this.

Elena
    Keymaster

Thanks for the encouragement Elena.

What they do is find customers, dazzle them with Themeforest design samples and then install it for them and charge the customer $2500.

Right, now i can learn how to make some real money online:)

I think if i had a basic theme it would be better to stick to static html sites. A big issue i have had with sbi, and my own static sites is having reviews done properly by visitors. SBI C2’O is no good for this and other programs i use are either free (but no content is visible to SE’s) or they cost over $100 per month (but these are brilliant).

Thanks for your encouragement, it has been tough actually:)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Page not redirecting from old page to new WP’ is closed to new replies.