Migrating from SBI to BlueHost

Home Forums Web Hosting Migrating from SBI to BlueHost

This topic contains 16 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Elena 4 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Elena
    Keymaster

Is there anyone who has already done it?

I have another domain plus a subdomain hosted at BluHost and will be migrating my SBI site through a process that BluHost calls “account rename”.

Have read Elena’s excellent post on migrating from SBI, however, Hostgator won’t be my new hosting company, not WP blog platform either, and things might be different. Plan to use Ruby on Rails to deploy my site (with the help of a Web designer to set up the new platform).

I’m particularly concerned about…
    1.- Include files. (the “.shtml ” extension may not work any longer).
    2.- C2 invitation forms (is there any way to preserve or modify them if needed?).

Your input on this and overall migration to BlueHost experience would be much appreciated.
    Thank you,
    Daniel

Elena
    Keymaster

Hello Daniel,

I believe some people have moved to Bluehost and some other providers, but obviously I don’t know much about the differences there. One thing I know it’s slightly more complicated when adding addon domains. It seems like they require you to change your name servers before ever adding an addon domain and this of course results in downtime, although there could be workaround which I can’t figure out as I don’t have an account there.

Regarding .shtml includes you need to ask Bluehost or search in their documentation. I guess
    they don’t process dynamic .shtml or .php for .html pages just like Hostgator, but I might be wrong.

For C2 invitation forms they will not work with any host other than SBI. This is custom programming done by SBI and needs SBI’s database. Of course you could hire someone and have it done for you, including creating custom database that will be connected to your forms.

For anyone who is concerned about receiving submissions I suggest to choose WordPress. Even Elad’s new site (which is not an SBI! site) is using WordPress for this. Most of his old sites are using WordPress on subdomain too.

However, if you are talking about Ruby on Rails, seems you know what you are doing πŸ™‚

I hope someone will pass by to add more info on Bluehost though.

Wish you success!

Elena

Elena
    Keymaster

Hi Daniel,
    I know you’re interested in Bluehost but I thought I should chip in a few tips. I moved my site from SBI to NameCheap and I did everything myself.

My .shtml did not give any problem since I used httacker to download my files. The httracker grabbed the contents of the .shtml files and attached them to each .html file. So your .shtml may still work great.

On C2, I had many C2 submissions. I downloaded all of them with httracker as well but I had to edit them to remove SBI codes for C2 comment, forms, etc. So I turned them to regular html files without content submission buttons/links.

I’m not sure why you’re thinking of using Rails but if your website is a content site, you’d do great with WordPress. If you’re going with eCommerce, Opencart will be great. I’m saying this because you can get support easily for these two than Rails, except if you’re already familiar with Rails.

Be careful when migrating. My website (SmartFoxSecurity.Com) was PR3 when I moved from SBI and changed my domain name. It took 1 extra yr to get my PR3 back with some loss in traffic.

Elena
    Keymaster

Oh great to see you again! πŸ˜€

You said:

Be careful when migrating. My website (SmartFoxSecurity.Com) was PR3 when I moved from SBI and changed my domain name. It took 1 extra yr to get my PR3 back with some loss in traffic.

Did you do redirects for every page? Just curious, because many people seem to get rid of dashes in their domains, so they are switching to “dashless” domains. Was your traffic affected?

Your SmartFoxSecurity.com looks fantastic. Very professional! Thanks for stopping by!

Elena
    Keymaster

Hi, I am using Bluehost.
    There are so many youtube videos out there to help and bluehost are
    making lots of new videos with sound πŸ˜‰ which makes a lot of
    difference.
    Their support is excellent and the quickest way to contact them is
    with live chat. I did this a lot and they are really great and very
    helpful.
    Re adding addon domains – this youtube video explains how to do it.

Definitely recommend contacting the live chat with any problems.

Elena
    Keymaster

Thanks Elena,
    Great to hear such a prompt feedback on this.

Have already contacted BlueHost support on the .shtml (include files) issue to learn about what changes I’d need to make in this regard, if any.

I won’t be adding an addon domain to migrate my site to BlueHost, have a domain solely created a couple of years ago to host my images subdomain (through the Infin It module) in order to overcome the ridiculous 100KB limitation on image size by SBI and the possibility to create my own image RSS feeds to implement Cooliris 3D photo galleries.

According to BlueHost, I can rename (replace) my “useless” domain by my root domain at SBI through a process called “account rename”.

Regarding C2 invitation forms and future submissions that may come through them, I’m not terribly desperate to keep them, however, it’s nice to know that it could be implemented through WP as you’ve mentioned. I will need to learn more about WordPress and its capabilities.

As far as RoR goes, I’m not knowledgeable myself either, I will have lo learn about it as soon as a web designer set it up for me. Due to my site needs ( bilingual site that can be independently navigated in only 2 languages today, with different headers, menues, etc) I need to be able to produce partial (language-limited changes) as well as global changes with ease.

Actually, more than that, in the blink of an eye.

RoR seems to fit the bill for present and future site needs, as I plan to add more languages in the future. Site maintenance and new implementations should be done easily instead of being permanently constrained by SBI limitations, not to mention the need to edit and reupload every single HTML page all the time.

For this reason, I need a proper CMS to accommodate my site once for all.

Every suggestion you may have in this regard I’ll be happy to hear it.

Thanks Elena,
    Daniel

Elena
    Keymaster

Thanks Carole, I will check that.

Daniel

Elena
    Keymaster

Thank you greatly SurveillanceTips for your tips and advice.

It’s only a matter of days, or weeks, until I move away from SBI. For the time being, I’m concerned about the new hosting home (BlueHost) and its requirements plus the platform to accommodate my site.

Thanks again for taking the time,
    Daniel

Elena
    Keymaster

Daniel,

you can certainly keep your old C2 – I mean by it the pages that your visitors have submitted in the past. They are no different than regular pages. The only issue is that you need a new system that would allow you to receive new submissions.

Another thing that comes to mind is that if you are going to be on custom CMS anyway, you probably shouldn’t be worried about includes. Typically any good CMS will take care of such things. So perhaps you don’t need to worry about it at all. However, talk to your designer / developer to makes things clear.

As SurveillanceTips mentioned above, you simply use HTtrack to scrape your entire site and upload it to BlueHost and voila – you have a working copy of your website there. Includes will not work that way, but the content will be displayed as usual.

In my understanding, once you do this step your designer should take charge and do his work by migrating your website to custom CMS that will take care of includes, RSS and everything else. Make sure that he understands your needs. Some might make something that prevents search engines crawling your content properly or change your URLs.

I hope this helps. If you need anything else don’t hesitate to post here πŸ™‚

Elena
    Keymaster

Hi Elena,
    I’m thinking there’s a way to reply directly under each post but I can’t find it, maybe it’s my eyes.

Oh great to see you again!

You said:

Did you do redirects for every page? Just curious, because many people seem to get rid of dashes in their domains, so they are switching to β€œdashless” domains. Was your traffic affected?

Your SmartFoxSecurity.com looks fantastic. Very professional! Thanks for stopping by!

Yes I did a redirect for each page but as you know, redirect for all page will increase your page loading time (consider average loading time for all pages when they all use redirect). I noticed my bounce rate shot up around that time, my stats got messed up a bit and some inpatient visitors found the backdoor. πŸ˜€

Elena
    Keymaster

Aha I see. I was just wondering about PR drop and redirect. That’s very interesting anyway. Thank you!!!

Elena
    Keymaster

Yes Elena, I think you’re right, the web designer should be able to handle/modify include files if needed, even provide an alternative to C2 invitation forms perhaps.

In any case, C2 submissions are not relevant to me as a source or free content and/or creating engagement, now or in the past. However, it could be a good idea to keep them, if possible.

To receive a paragraph or two only, or a simple question, and being in the need to write a full page to round it up before uploading it is not the ideal scenario in my point of view. I’ve read somewhere that Google could penalize short pages. Guess it all depends on the site’s theme and the webmaster’s ability to create engagement with visitors.

Thanks a lot for your feedback Elena,
    Daniel

Elena
    Keymaster

I’ve now transferred two sites to Bluehost using Elena’s excellent instructions and I also have other sites with WP.

I am so happy I moved my sites from SBI and it wasn’t as difficult as I thought it would be. I transferred my Barcelona site a few years ago as a static site so still have this to convert to WP. I’ve customized my WP sites using a WordPress for Beginners kindle book which has helped enormously and highly recommend the WP SEO by Yoast plugin. Am still trying to work out how to add the breadcrumbs though so any suggestions will be much appreciated πŸ˜‰

It’s great to get feedback on the various plugins people use and I would love to know which WP themes others are using. At the moment I’m using WP Twenty Twelve but as there is only one horizonal menu I need to transfer to another theme.

Good luck Daniel πŸ™‚

Elena
    Keymaster

Thanks Carole,

Best of success to you too.

By the way, since you’ve already moved two sites from SBI to BlueHost, I’d be curious to know how did you handle the include files. I’m still awaiting response from BlueHost support on this.
    Elena covered Hostgator requirements on include files, however, not sure the same apply for BlueHost as well.

Thank you,
    Daniel

Elena
    Keymaster

Daniel, my first site is still a static site so I think it would be different transferring includes to a WP site. I didn’t transfer it myself and have emailed the person who did to let me know how he did it.

Only one of my other two sites had includes and these I only used for the header and adsense. I will be installing a plugin for adsense which I can also use for affiliate ads etc. Not sure at the moment which one to use.

Hope you get an answer from Bluehost soon.

Best
    Carole

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Migrating from SBI to BlueHost’ is closed to new replies.