Is there a secret to designing WP sites?

Home Forums WordPress Is there a secret to designing WP sites?

This topic contains 12 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Elena 3 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Elena
    Keymaster

Well? Lol. I have a theme that has shortcodes installed so I can add information boxes, columns etc but it appears quite limited to my newbie eyes. Is there something people aren’t telling me or is it a case of using html and css?

Thankyou

Elena
    Keymaster

Hello again Paddles,

your experience with WordPress is actually defined by your theme choice. Some are limited, some are super-flexible. Perhaps you aren’t seeing everything there is to your theme, because you are just starting out. No CSS is usually necessary. Can you tell me more what you are trying to do?

Elena
    Keymaster

Hi Elena, poor you having to answer all our questions. Hopefully once I’m more experienced I can help others in here too. When I go in to edit a page in WP I have the WYSIWYG editor with all the basics. I also have a shortcode add on which came with the theme I bought.

So an example would be me clicking on the shortcode icon and choosing info boxes if I want to add a box to a page. I have some options which are top and bottom borders, or a full border. Two sizes, either medium (default) or large. There’s no choice of changing the colour of them. I have options to use the default box (grey) or I can select a box with a tick in it to grab peoples attention.

Another example is the horizontal rule. It seems that I have to stick with the grey default style unless I start using HTML? I don’t mind doing this but just want to check I’m not missing anything as I want to keep the code as clean as possible. Thankyou for all your help, it’s much appreciated.

Elena
    Keymaster

Don’t worry Paddles, I am glad to help 🙂

Some themes give you choice of few color schemes, but there is no rule. If you have color options, you should be able to find it in Appearance –> Theme Options. If there is no choice available there, then it would involve modifying CSS.

Some themes offer things like switching different layouts, different sidebar options etc. It just depends on your theme.

Elena
    Keymaster

Hi Elena,

In my Appearance, Theme Options section, I get to design the main parts like background colours, site border, font style and colours etc. What I need to find out, is how I can, say design comment boxes that match the theme that Im using. As a matter of interest, do you have a favourite theme? From what I’ve gathered so far, Canvas Woo and, oh I can’t think of the other popular one right now, but they are the two most popular themes. Genesis, that’s the one. But I’m assuming most are basically the same as regards to customization yes? I will come back to this thread once I’ve looked into the design part a bit more. 🙄 😯

Elena
    Keymaster

I am using several Themeforest themes. Themeforest is basically place for freelance designers to sell their work. Most themes there look very good, but the quality can be very different.

For example, theme I am using on this website is super flexible and although it’s not the fanciest theme at Themeforest, its backend quality is very high. It also allows me to change main colors, columns layouts without editing anything and it will look like totally different site every time.

The problem with Themeforest themes is that some newbies just can’t figure out how to install them, because it’s different for each designer.

I never used Genesis but many people seem to be very happy with it, so it must be something good. High commissions they offer for promoting it could be a factor too, but I still think the theme must be good. I never used Woothemes.

In general, when I am looking for a theme I look at customization options available. The choice of themes is too high to settle for anything less than perfect. Apparently your theme author didn’t think of providing easy way to customize comment boxes, so you either need to accept it as is or edit CSS. If you are really new to WordPress I would suggest to spend some time to get used to it before you do advanced things like editing code.

Elena
    Keymaster

Hi Elena,
    I am getting there slowly but surely. I’m a bit of a perfectionist thats one of my problems. I’ve discovered actually that you can install a drag and drop editor into WP so I’m looking at that at the moment. I’m looking at one now that has unlimited shortcodes to use. 🙂 I know I’m cheating if I go this way but at least I will free up some time to learn the Cpanel at Hostgator and actually write a bit of content. The theme that I bought (will get a refund) only allows full customization if you know CSS and I’ve not got the time for that at the moment. When I read the last paragraph of your post above, I realised I needed a different theme so thanks for that, I didn’t realise that different themes would offer different functionalities. 🙂

Elena
    Keymaster

Yes Paddles, your experience with WordPress is defined by your theme choice and if it’s not something you are satisfied with, it’s about your theme author not WordPress. WordPress allows you to do just about anything you might need to.

In general, once the right theme is installed you shouldn’t have to mess with technical issues except occasional updates and backup. Writing pages in WordPress is fast and easy. It is also easy to modify or even change your theme. You don’t have to wait until you get it perfect to start writing content.

Good luck! 🙂

Elena
    Keymaster

Hi Elena

I just contacted Genesis (StudioPress) re installing their framework and theme.

I have 3 of my websites on wordpress and am using the Twenty Twelve theme which is very limited (one menu, no breadcrumbs etc)

I’m just trying to get my head around this. There is a Genesis Framework and a Child Theme.

Does this mean the Genesis framework is the name similar to Woo or ThemeForest and the Genesis Child Theme is a theme (like the Lifestyle theme ?)

I’ve also asked if they have videos on setting it up … everyone says it’s very easy – hope it is 🙂

Will let you know what they say. This is the theme I want to use.

Checkout

Warmest regards
    Carole

Elena
    Keymaster

Hi Carole,

great to hear from you again 🙂

Regarding this

Does this mean the Genesis framework is the name similar to Woo or ThemeForest and the Genesis Child Theme is a theme (like the Lifestyle theme ?)

No. Genesis is framework that you install just like you install a theme and child theme is something you can install AFTER you installed framework. That’s why you can’t buy just Lifestyle Child Theme without Genesis itself. It won’t work unless their framework is already installed.

I switched to Genesis and I like it. They aren’t fancy, but it’s flexible in terms of column layout and it loads very fast, much faster than what I had before. Security is important too and they should be more secure than something from Themeforest. I am very happy so far.

Elena
    Keymaster

Hi Elena, how lovely to hear from you 🙂

I am so happy you are happy with Genesis and thanks for the feedback.

No. Genesis is framework that you install just like you install a theme and child theme is something you can install AFTER you installed framework. That’s why you can’t buy just Lifestyle Child Theme without Genesis itself. It won’t work unless their framework is already installed.

So I buy the framework, install it and then download the child theme. Is it easy to do? Do they supply videos etc?

Once I have done this I think I can use the child theme on all my websites – yes? Do I have to buy the Genesis framework for each website?

I think Genesis also includes SEO and loads of widgets, menus, breadcrumbs so it’s an excellent package. Can’t wait to use it.

Thanks Elena 🙂

Elena
    Keymaster

I contacted Studio Press (Genesis) and this is their reply.

‘Hi Carole,
    Thanks for your interest in the Genesis Framework! Lifestyle is included in the Genesis purchase for $79.95.

I’d recommend stopping by this page: http://www.studiopress.com/features and then downloading a free copy of our Beginner’s Guide: http://www.studiopress.com/news/genesis-for-beginners.htm
    Also, I’d suggest taking a look at the videos on studiopress.tv, especially this one: http://studiopress.tv/genesis-framework-wordpress/

Those resources will explain more about our framework, and I’ll be glad to answer any questions you may have after reviewing them.

Hope this helps someone who may want to go with Genesis 🙂

All the best
    Carole

Elena
    Keymaster

Hi Carole,

sorry for not replying for so long – didn’t have access to Internet.

Regrading your questions about my sites – they are all on Genesis now. I don’t remember about videos, but I remember myself watching something on YouTube. So even if they don’t have many affiliates made videos themselves.

It includes SEO and does almost everything Yoast does except that it doesn’t submit sitemap. But there are other plugins that do sitemaps.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Is there a secret to designing WP sites?’ is closed to new replies.