index file missing in wordpress site

Home Forums WordPress index file missing in wordpress site

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  yogi 3 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

yogi
    Participant

Hi Elena

Hope your sites are doing well.

I had a question regarding the index file. I transferred a SBI site to hostgator a while ago, this week i am converting it to wordpress,I followed your instructions for that. So changed the index to index-2.html and installed wordpress on the domain. It looks done except now the url gives an 404 error. I though the next step i had to do was to delete index-2.html, but what happens to the index file in that case? do we create a new wordpress page and name it index.html?

Also, i couldn’t find your instructions for the changes in hta file…is that where i went wrong.

Your help is much appreciated.

Best Regards

Yogi

• This topic was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by  yogi.

Elena
    Keymaster

Hi Yogi,

when you install WP it creates index.php file. Normally when you go to your domain.com you should see WordPress page with something like Hello World. Do you see it? What do you see when you go to yourdomain.com?

This part I don’t understand

Also, i couldn’t find your instructions for the changes in hta file…is that where i went wrong.

What exactly do you mean?

yogi
    Participant

hi elena

i see the new wordpress site sitting at my domain.com but on mydomain.com/index.html i see a 404 error.

I do not see the hello dolly page(not sure if i deleted it by accident) I do see a hello world post but no page.

Reg hta –

On this url you have mentioned it in a box – http://webmasterdiary.org/wordpress/transfer-static-website-to-wordpress/

If you edited your .htaccess previously to add www. before your domain, you should edit once again and remove the following code
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^yoursite.com [NC]
    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.yoursite.com/$1 [L,R=301]
    Once your remove it your domain will be available with www. and without www. That’s ok for a short period of time. Once you install WordPress you will be able to fix this right from your WordPress dashboard.

Regards

Yogi

yogi
    Participant

and the old design sits at index-2.html

Elena
    Keymaster

You are fine Yogi 🙂

You don’t have to worry about index.html anymore. In fact, it should redirect to yourdomain.com and if it doesn’t I am not sure why this is the case.

I didn’t say anything about Hello Dolly, I said Hello World 🙂 So everything is working you can proceed with the tutorial step by step.

As for .htaccess file, that note is for those who have edited their files previously. If they did, I suggested to remove whatever they added to it previously BEFORE installing WordPress. In your case everything seems to be working so no need to worry about it.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by  Elena.

yogi
    Participant

Thanks Elena. You are a Star 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘index file missing in wordpress site’ is closed to new replies.