home page vs index

Home Forums Help with Moving from Site Build It! home page vs index

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Elena 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Elena
    Keymaster

I so appreciate all of your tutorials in helping me to move from SBI to wordpress. I have successfully transitioned all my pages over. The theme I am using is built to automatically update my home page with my latest posts.

Here is the challenge I have, my SBI homepage was index.html. If I switch my home page to a static page in the settings, then I can’t take advantage of the automatically built slider that the theme offers. What happens if I switch my home page from the index.html page that I used with SBI? How much might it impact my traffic. parentingforsocialchange.com

Elena
    Keymaster

Hello,

it depends what you were doing with your homepage initially. If you had a solid article with keywords and it ranked and brought traffic then it will likely have some negative impact at least for this page. Other pages on site will probably be fine.

On the other hand if your homepage never ranked for anything special and you didn’t have much unique text there you probably won’t notice any difference.

One thing that would concern me is links. Many SBIers have links to their homepage in this format:

http://www.site.com/index.html

So if you had this type of links (and you probably did) it would be wise to create index.html page in your cPanel and then redirect it to your homepage so that link juices flows to your homepage.

Quite often WP themes have the limitation you described, but it is possible to find a theme that allows you to insert slider on any page, including static pages.

EDITED to ADD: No matter what you decide, make sure that all internal links that were initially on your homepage are also present on your new homepage. As I stressed in my tutorials, you shouldn’t change linking structure unless you are ready for negative consequences traffic-wise.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by  Elena.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by  Elena.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘home page vs index’ is closed to new replies.