FB comments

Home Forums WordPress FB comments

This topic contains 19 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Elena 2 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Elena
    Keymaster

Hi Elena,

Please is there a way to copy across my fb comments from my SBI pages?

Thanks
    Iyatuntun

Elena
    Keymaster

Sure! First, what are you using HTML or you are already doing WordPress?

If you are in HTML, the original Facebook code will work. If you are doing WordPress, there are tons of plugins that will do that for you. You don’t need copy anything either way. You already need to use original Facebook code available at

http://developers.facebook.com/docs/reference/plugins/comments/

Normally this would get copied when using HTTrack.

Elena
    Keymaster

Oh I just realized you are posting in WordPress forum, so perhaps you mean FB comments for WordPress. In this case just use plugin. There are many. Just go to plugins –>Add New and search for “Facebook Comments”. Then install and click activate.

Elena
    Keymaster

thanks Elena..I will do that soon.
    Just realised I have bigger problems than facebook comments 🙁
    So i downloaded the plugin html on pages and activated it..i am assuming this adds html to both pages and posts?
    if not how do i add html to my posts as i tried n the permalinks but it keeps changing to “-html” instead of “.html”
    i have tested my links between my posts and from other websites linking to my original SBI link but i keep getting 404 this page cannot be found. The page url are the same so i suspect it has to do with .html??
    OR
    my other suspicion is when i search for the new post in hostgator it shows the wordpress posts under public_html/wp-content/cache/supercache/www.mywebsitename.com.
    are my copied posts suppose to be in this location??
    so clearly i am confused…not sure what the issue is.
    so to make my question clearer my links (copied posts from SBI to wordpress) are not working, what could the issue be?
    Many thanks!

Elena
    Keymaster

No worries iyatutun,

plugin .html for pages works only on pages and NOT on posts. If you want to have .html on posts you don’t need any plugin, you need to edit permalinks settings. You’ll need to ensure that Custom Structure is chosen and then you paste this in that space there:

/%postname%.html

However, I don’t think you should use post feature for your old pages. I strongly suggest that you use pages for your old articles, because posts have time stamp associated with it. You can use posts for your new content, and for new you don’t have to have .html, unless you want to.

Regarding your content, it doesn’t “live” in your cPanel’s file manager. WordPress uses database for storing your content and the PHP code located in your cPanel pulls it from database every time the page is requested. So don’t look for it in your cPanel’s wordpress files, it’s not there 🙂

Let me know if you need anything.

Elena
    Keymaster

ah! your reply totally makes sense cuz i was going to ask how to get rid of the dates!! as i didnt want to update like 10 posts showing the same date….guessed i must have missed that part of your tuturioal telling us to use pages and not posts 🙂

i will convert my new posts to pages now and see if that solves it…thanks!

and thanks re not looking in my cpanel for my content..lol…all so confusing! hehe

Elena
    Keymaster

yay so using custom structure works…guess that was easier than converting posts to pages…

so can i continue using custom structure while building my old sbi pages using wordpress pages instead of the post feature?

Elena
    Keymaster

yay so using custom structure works…guess that was easier than converting posts to pages…

so can i continue using custom structure while building my old sbi pages using wordpress pages instead of the post feature?

I am not sure what you mean. Do you mean, you’ll simply go edit your permalinks and continue using post function for your old pages? You can do that if you don’t mind time stamp.

Or do you mean, you are going to convert posts to pages and use posts with .html structure at the end for you future posts? You can do that too, but there is no need. Your future posts haven’t been indexed yet. The only reason why we bother with .html at the end is because it was indexed that way before. There is no extra benefits in using it, only troubles I guess…

Elena
    Keymaster

oh so what i mean is i will use wordpress pages for my old sbi pages and posts for my new pages

but can i leave the permalinks settings as “custom structure” instead of “post name” (because of the few sbi pages that i already set up as posts)

also how do i set categories when using pages..cant seem to find that option.

thanks!!!

Elena
    Keymaster

Yes, pages don’t have categories. They do have parent page feature, but you should’t use it because it will mess up your URLs.

You can leave permalinks on custom structure, but my point is you don’t need to have

/%postname%.html

unless you want to. It is not necessary for your future posts. simple postname is best.

Elena
    Keymaster

ok…cool… thanks for your help! most appreciated 😀

Elena
    Keymaster

Elena wrote:

“Oh I just realized you are posting in WordPress forum, so perhaps you mean FB comments for WordPress. In this case just use plugin. There are many. Just go to plugins –>Add New and search for “Facebook Comments”. Then install and click activate.”

My question is this:

Would this allow one to transfer Facebook comments from SBI’s Face It! that were on site when hosted with Sitesell? Can one use the same app ID and have comments displayed with wordpress? Any idea how this is possible. Thanks so much.

Elena
    Keymaster

Hi Roger,

Facebook comments is something people embed to their sites so the actual host is Facebook and not SiteSell. While I don’t remember all the intricate details of Facebook app IDs, I am quite sure that if you use same setup (ID-wise), everything should work. Facebook comments are much like YouTube videos, they are embedded and will work anywhere as long as YouTube (or in our case Facebook) is online.

Elena
    Keymaster

Elena, good to hear. I will see how I can add to WordPress. Let me do some searching.

Elena
    Keymaster

Hi, I added a Facebook comment plugin and added app ID, app secret and Facebook ID to it. It is now activated. But how do I get the comments to actually display on the website.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘FB comments’ is closed to new replies.